Splendid 17th century sandstone Scottish baronial house, remodelled in 1829 by William Burn. The gardens include herbaceous border, formal rose garden, Lady Haddington's Secret Garden with old fashioned roses and an extensive "wilderness" spring garden with rhododendrons, azaleas, flowering trees and bulbs. Grounds include a one mile beech avenue to the sea. The formal walled garden combines the lawn, sculpture and yew hedges, an "apple walk", extensive herbaceous planting including roses and peonies with an informal arboretum. The Romanesque ruin of St Baldred's Church commands views across the Tyne Estuary and Lammermuir Hills. Tyninghame has been awarded 'Outstanding' for every category in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes of Scotland.
Gates on the A198 at Tyninghame Village.
Sunday 14 May 1:00pm - 5:00pm Sunday 18 June 1:00pm - 5:00pm
£5.00, accompanied children free
RNLI Dunbar receives 40% (for the 14th May opening), Marie Curie receives 40% (for the 18 June opening), the net remaining to SG Beneficiaries
Champion Trees: Two British and seven Scottish. Plant stall on 14 May only.
Tyninghame Gardens Ltd and Mrs C.Gwyn